This section of the website contains:
- the University's policy framework and hierarchy
- the process to be followed when developing Policies, Standards, Procedures and Guidelines
- approval procedures
- draft policy documents published for consultation with the University community
- the A to Z Policy List
- a custom Google search for the policy collection
This Addendum was approved by the President and Vice-Chancellor on 26 August 2020.
This Addendum will operate as a new policy of the University modifying certain existing Policies, Procedures and Guidelines ('policy documents') on an interim basis to take account of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Addendum is to operate as if the contents in the table were incorporated into each of the named policy documents.
The interim changes in this Addendum are an amendment to the relevant document and have the same compliance status as the relevant Policy, Procedure or Guideline.
The Director of Governance may approve minor updates in accordance with COVID-19 information distributed by the President and Vice-Chancellor.
2021 Statement on Financial Restrictions
Last year due to the economic impact of COVID-19 on the University, a series of financial restrictions were put in place in relation to non-essential business expenditure for an interim period. The Vice-President, Operations is pleased to advise that the University will allow some discretionary spend to commence specifically around entertainment and travel. This is primarily as a result of staff now returning to campus more frequently and a review of the Universities financial position.
The Business Expense Procedure (BEP) provides advice on what is allowable as well as providing guidance on limits for some expenditure which continues to apply with the exception of the following financial restrictions:
- Entertainment for Staff members - The allowable limits here have been lowered to $50 (per person) for end of year celebrations, team building and strategic planning days. All other information under this category applies.
- Entertainment where non-UNSW staff are involved is not allowed
- Gifts/Rewards is not allowed
- Travel - International Travel is not allowed
- Travel - Domestic Travel is allowed in limited circumstances. Refer to MyTravel@UNSW to register and organise your travel. Please ensure you have sought pre-approval from your line manager before doing so. A cautious approach should be taken if deciding to travel for work. It should be necessary and reasonable and in line with specific work requirements.
Other financial restrictions remain in place as follows:
- Expenditure on activity under various projects and plans, including the Estate Development Plan, the Estate Improvement Plan, the IT program and the 2025 Strategy is now subject to regular review and adjustment by Management Board.
- Appointment or engagement of staff - the Management Board Recruitment Sub-committee is reviewing all proposals for new positions, replacement positions, end of contract renewals, contractor engagements and consulting spend across both restricted and unrestricted funds. No appointments or engagements may be made without this Sub-committee’s prior written approval.
- Credit cards - most University credit cards have been suspended with credit limits reduced to zero, effective from 7 May 2020. Some exceptions in each Faculty/Division, for essential business expenditure where other payment methods are not possible or for spend against restricted funds (e.g. research grants), have been communicated to your relevant Management Board member/Dean.
Implementation of the aforementioned changes is effective immediately. All other financial restrictions will remain in place, as currently detailed in the COVID-19 Policy Addendum.